Majority Leader of the Nigeria House of Representatives, Honourable Demi Gbajabiamila, representing Surulere Local government at the centre, has come out hard on his Law School Classmates who condemned his flamboyant and ostentatious display of wealth during his wife’s 50th Birthday Celebration in Lagos.
Recalled, the internet was set on fire with the report of the purported N75m G-wagon SUV with customized plate number ‘ ASSURANCE ‘ the lawmaker presented to his wife as birthday gift and the costly suit said to have cost $3500 he wore to grace the occasion.
While responding to the barrage of reactions that have taken down the social media, Femi was mostly pained by the reactions of his school mates hence he replied through a long WhatsApp messenge in a forum.
My dear “friends” I thank you for all your comments. I ordinarily was going to keep a dignified silence on this whole sordid matter and indeed I have. This is the first comment I am making in all of this. I honestly thought this was a platform of classmates and of lawyers. I thought the legal training was that there were 2 sides to every story and maybe sometimes even a 3rd. Many have said you’re only saying the truth but I don’t know how one gets to the truth by hearing only one side and not giving the benefit of doubt but passing a hurried judgment. I would have expected those who seek the truth to reach out even if privately like Frank did. 3 of our classmates were at this very small private gathering of family and friends namely Candido Johnson Mike Igbokwe and Folabi Martins.
Now What are the issues
1. My wife of 26 years who I love to death turned 50 and I decided to do something special for her. Her 50th did not happen unexpectedly. I knew a couple of years God sparing her life she would turn 50 and I prepared for it. This is a woman who has been with me through thick and thin and stood as a pillar of support and who at one time was the breadwinner. Hell I may even have saved up for it or sold an old car to make up the numbers you guys do not know. I believe the cost of a vehicle pales into insignificance when you consider the sacrifices our wives make on the daily.
2. We are all educated and can look up the cost of the car. Not even half of the 100m in social media.
3. What I wear is non of y’alls business as I’m sure there will be people who’s attire or jewelry or shoes on this platform I may not like but will not deride them for it.
4. I had a tear to plan for this and I did.
5. We had a family gathering and few friends of about 30 in all in my house for thanks giving and prayers. It was a breakfast get together. My wife’s pastor prayed Gave a sermon, praise n worship and guests had breakfast. The whole affair was meant to have ended by 6. Unfortunately some people came after work as it was a weekday.
6. I purchased my wife’s car from the US and unfortunately the car was delayed at the ports for 4 days. She was meant to get her gift at midnight of her birthday in the privacy of our home.
7. I called Mr Folabi Martins the day before her birthday ( he happens to be the lawyer to Maersk the shipping co) and he made frantic efforts to call the md.
8. Man proposes Gid disposes and there was little I could do the car never came.
9. It came as a surprise to me when the car was driven by the agents into my compound at 7.30 pm with a few guests and my family members still present. There was little I could do.
10. How the above facts can draw such vitriol from this platform shocks me to the marrow but then like they say it is what it is.
11. My “brother” who commented above that I crave publicity or wanted this on social media I’m sorry we may be classmates but you do not know me.
12. Guys I have paid my dues in this country. I did not gift a car to a girlfriend like many do. I gave it to my WIFE!!
13. Now assuming this was a public display which it most certainly wasn’t does it warrant the things I am reading on this platform the extent of venom and crucifixtion from you guys ? Or is there something else here ?
14. I must say a big thank you to Frank and to Afolabi who has called me severally and stood in support. I also thank you Mike Igbokwe for the staunch support you put up on anothe platform of yours.
15. I am surprised that no one here is discerning to see that this is a political hatchet job but I will continue to focus on my work. Enough said
God bless our class of 84
Credit: Olawale Olaleye.
Subscribe to news update