There were protests on Tuesday as the House of Representatives broke tradition for the second time running, to receive the 2015 budget from the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, on Wednesday.
This followed the adoption of a motion by the Deputy Leader of the House, Leo Ogor, that relevant rules be
suspended to allow the minister present the budget on Wednesday.
Last year, she laid the 2014 budget before the two chambers of the National Assembly instead of the President.
She is set to do same on Wednesday.
The decision of the House to receive the minister followed the receipt of the Revised Medium Term Expenditure Framework, the Universal Service Fund, as well as the reintroduction of 2015 budget from the President
The leader of the Opposition, Femi Gbajabiamila, speaking under a point of Order said it was not dignifying for the parliament to receive the budget from the minister.
He said it was understandable that the President was not in town last year for the presentation of budget, adding that it would be “bad precedence,” to allow Okonjo- Iweala do it a second time.”
The lawmaker reiterated his last year’s warning that if the trend continues, the President may be tempted to send a Personal Assistant with the budget in the near future.